12.18.2008

Things that sound the same, but are completely different

This morning my breakfast of pop tarts led to deep thoughts, as it often does. I started thinking about cheese and cream cheese. You would never substitute a block of Swiss in your cheesecake recipe. Although, they have nearly the same name. Baking soda and baking powder are an entirely worse story.
I’ve made the biscuits to prove it.

A friend of mine, recently started a Facebook group called “one million strong against not being racist” and invited me to join. The description of the group said that “racism is still strong today and we should do what we can to fight it”.

People signed up.

I wrote to this friend saying, “you must not know this, but using a double negative here implies that you are racist, (or at least not against it)”. He replied that he knew that and this group was “part of a contest to see who could get 1000 people to sign up first, please don‘t tell anyone what it really means“. The grand prize, a tee shirt ($12 value).
I searched Facebook and found hundreds of people signing up for groups of the same name.
Because I’m already “against not not being racist", I declined his invitation.

I question someone who would so quickly sell out their beliefs.
I also wonder about all of the people who signed up for these groups.
Did they think it was a harmless joke? Did they realize the true meaning?

Why do so many people sacrifice something for nothing?

Thanks for reading,

Citrus

Quotes for the day

"Always have class"
-My Grandpa

"An educated person is one who has learned that information almost always turns out to be at best incomplete and very often false, misleading, fictitious, mendacious - just dead wrong".
Russell Baker

"It takes 20 years to build a reputation and 5 minutes to ruin it. If you think about that you will do things differently".
-Warren Buffett

No comments: